Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Winner of the 1985 NY State Chili Cook-Off Reno Red Chili
Make and share this Reno Red Chili Con Carne recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs round steaks, coarsely ground
- 3 lbs chuck steaks, coarsely ground
- 1 cup Wesson Oil or 1 cup suet
- black pepper
- 3 ounces Gebhardt® Chili powder
- 6 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons msg
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 dried chili pods, seeded and de-stemmed, boiled 30 minutes in water or 1 (3 ounce) bottle new mexico peppers
- 1 tablespoon oregano, brewed in Budweiser beer, like tea
- 1⁄2 cup Budweiser beer
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 ounces green chilies, diced (Ortega brand)
- 14 ounces stewed tomatoes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina flour
- Brown meat in oil or fat, adding black pepper to taste. Drain meat and add chili powder, cumin, MSG, garlic and chopped onion.
- Cook for 30 - 45 minutes using as little liquid as possible. Add water only as necessary.
- Stir often.
- Remove skins from boiled chile pods.
- Mash the pulp and add to meat mixture. Strain oregano tea, then add to meat mixture along with paprika, vinegar, 2/3 of the beef broth, green chiles, stewed tomatoes and Tabasco sauce. Simmer 30 - 45 minutes.
- Stir often.
- Dissolve masa flour into remaining beef broth then pour into chili.
- Simmer another 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Makes 1 potful.