Prep 2 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Recipe from Renee R
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 tablespoons oil
- Grease a baking sheet lightly with oil.
- Measure flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the flour.
- Dilute yeast and 1 tsp sugar in a little warm water (105-115F). Pour into well.
- Lightly beat the egg whites. Pour into the well along with 1 cup warm water, salt, and oil.
- Mix well (dough will be sticky at first) to form a dough and then knead until dough is smooth.
- Dust with a little flour, cover, and place a draft-free location. Allow to rise and double in size (about an hour).
- Knead again, over again, and allow dough to rise again.
- Divide dough into 3 equal pieces.
- Form strips and braid. Brush with the beaten egg yolk.
- Bake at 400F for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 350F and bake for 20 additional minutes.