1/1 Photo of Rendang Padang - Indonesian Beef Curry (Slow Cooker)
7 hrs 30 mins
Chandra M's Note:
This is a very close representation to what I have had in restaurants. But beware because it can be quite spicy depending on the heat of the chiles you use. The beef should be almost falling apart. Serve with steamed white rice and Achar. From Secrets of Slow Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-2-inch pieces (I use a chuck roast & cut it up)
- 8 red chilies, stemmed and coarsely chopped (you can take out the seeds to reduce the heat level)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, tender insides finely sliced
- 1/3 cup tamarind paste (combined with 1/3 cup warm water)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (ground chiles, not the chili pepper spice blend)
- 1 (15 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1Put the beef in the slow cooker.
- 2In a blender or food processor combine the chilis, onion, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, tamarind paste, 1 cup warm water, and the spices.
- 3Puree until smooth, then pour over the beef.
- 4Stir in the coconut milk and cook, covered, on the low setting for 5-6 hours.
- 5The beef will be tender and the sauce will be dark brown.
- 6Ladle most of the sauce into a small saucepan and cook over medium high heat to reduce until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- 7Pour the sauce back in the cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to 1 hour longer.
- 8Stir in the sugar and season with salt to taste.
- 9Serve over steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rendang Padang - Indonesian Beef Curry (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 837.3
- Calories from Fat 529
- Total Fat 58.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 236.0 mg
- Sodium 156.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 61.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk