Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a genuine German Sauerbraten recipe that is not the typical one using vinegar. Our family came by this recipe from a German-American friend who emigrated from Bremen, Germany. When she made this, it was always accompanied by potato pancakes and German sweet/sour cabbage (recipes not included here).
- 3 lbs rump roast
MARINADE FOR ROAST
- buttermilk, to cover roast
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves, crushed and broken
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 12 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Marinate Roast in buttermilk marinade as follows:.
- Buttermilk enough to COVER whole roast.
- Add to buttermilk:.
- 12 whole pepper corns.
- 2 bay leaves, crushed and broken.
- 2 large onions, sliced.
- Place roast and marinade covered in refrigerator for 3-5 days. Let marinade work and flavor the meat all that time.
- At end of 3-5 days, remove meat from buttermilk marinade.
- Discard marinade and rinse meat.
- In a dutch oven, brown roast on all sides.
- When meat is finished browning, make a new fresh batch of almost identical buttermilk marinade, but which will now serve as the cooking sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups raisins.
- 12 peppercorns.
- 2 bay leaves.
- 4 cups of water.
- 2 cups fresh buttermilk.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and place around toast.
- Place roast and sauce in covered dutch oven or casserole pan with tin foil to cover/.
- In oven heated to 275-300 degrees, slow cook the roast until it is done and tender.
- Once during cooking (about 2 -3 hours, remove cover and turn roast over so that the other half of the roast rests in the sauce. Re-cover and continue to bake.
- When meat is done, remove from pan to a platter and slice into slices.
- Take pan drippings (buttermilk sauce) and thicken with enough corn starch to make sauce the consistency of thick gravy (start with 1/3 cup corn starch dissolved in 2/3 cup water).
- Pour gravy over the meat slices on a serving platter. Serve accompanied by your favorite German side dishes, such as potato pancakes and sweet and sour cabbage.