This is a genuine German Sauerbraten recipe that is not the typical one using vinegar. Our family came by this recipe from a German-American friend who emigrated from Bremen, Germany. When she made this, it was always accompanied by potato pancakes and German sweet/sour cabbage (recipes not included here).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs rump roast
MARINADE FOR ROAST
- 1Marinate Roast in buttermilk marinade as follows:.
- 2Buttermilk enough to COVER whole roast.
- 3Add to buttermilk:.
- 412 whole pepper corns.
- 52 bay leaves, crushed and broken.
- 62 large onions, sliced.
- 7Place roast and marinade covered in refrigerator for 3-5 days. Let marinade work and flavor the meat all that time.
- 8At end of 3-5 days, remove meat from buttermilk marinade.
- 9Discard marinade and rinse meat.
- 10In a dutch oven, brown roast on all sides.
- 11When meat is finished browning, make a new fresh batch of almost identical buttermilk marinade, but which will now serve as the cooking sauce.
- 121 1/2 cups raisins.
- 1312 peppercorns.
- 142 bay leaves.
- 154 cups of water.
- 162 cups fresh buttermilk.
- 17Mix sauce ingredients together and place around toast.
- 18Place roast and sauce in covered dutch oven or casserole pan with tin foil to cover/.
- 19In oven heated to 275-300 degrees, slow cook the roast until it is done and tender.
- 20Once during cooking (about 2 -3 hours, remove cover and turn roast over so that the other half of the roast rests in the sauce. Re-cover and continue to bake.
- 21When meat is done, remove from pan to a platter and slice into slices.
- 22Take pan drippings (buttermilk sauce) and thicken with enough corn starch to make sauce the consistency of thick gravy (start with 1/3 cup corn starch dissolved in 2/3 cup water).
- 23Pour gravy over the meat slices on a serving platter. Serve accompanied by your favorite German side dishes, such as potato pancakes and sweet and sour cabbage.
Browse Our Top German Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All German Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Renate’s Unique Buttermilk Marinated Sauerbraten
Serving Size: 1 (553 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 611.2
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 141.6 mg
- Sodium 214.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 51.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns