Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A southwest twist to a Russian classic.
Make and share this Renata's Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 -4 beets
- 2 carrots
- 5 baby red potatoes
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium green chili pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces chunky spaghetti sauce
- 1 quart chicken broth
- kosher salt
- sour cream (to garnish)
- Wash beets and place in baking dish.
- Wash and large chop carrots and potatoes and place in baking dish.
- Toss beets, carrots, and potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
- Sauté onion and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil in 4 quart saucepan until translucent.
- Remove from heat.
- Chop roasted carrots and potatoes and add to pot.
- Peel and chop the beets and save for later.
- Add shredded cabbage, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped green chili, minced garlic, 1/2 jar chunky spaghetti sauce to the pot.
- Simmer for approximately 1/2 hour or until all vegetables are tender.
- Add beets and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve, garnished with sour cream.
- Cooking time includes prep time.