Recipe by Virginia Cherry Blossom
The title says it all. You can use any chicken seasoning, like McCormick Montreal Chicken Spice Grill Mates. I use a chicken barbecue spice rub that is local here. You can also replace the barbecue sauce with a grilling sauce like McCormick Mesquite Grilling Sauce Grill Mates. I just happen to prefer to use what I already have around. One more thing, it is probably best to finish the legs off in a smoker, but of course must of us only have a grill. You can always add wood chips to the grill and get the same effect. Either will do fine!
Top Review by The Rock & Roll BBQ Chef
It is interesting to note that the turkey legs served at Festivals are in no way authentic. Turkey is a new world food and nobody back then was eating turkey legs. They still are delicious though.
- 4 turkey legs (small to medium size)
- 4 tablespoons barbecue seasoning (chicken blend)
- 1⁄2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat turkey legs dry with a paper towel. You can also remove the skin to cut back on the cholesterol and fat.
- Mix 3 tbsp barbecue chicken spice blend, 1/2 cup vinegar, and 3 cups water in a pan or bag and marinate legs for 6 hours, turning once.
- Drain off 1/2 liquid, and salt lightly with more barbecue chicken spice blend (about 1 tablespoons.).
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350°F Turn legs over at 20 minutes.
- Heat grill and and transfer turkey legs when bake time is done.
- Brush on the barbecue sauce during the last 7 minutes of the grilling process; turn over legs and brush on the other side.
- Cook until a desirable brown.