Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A recipe obtained from DH's former boss. As a tradition we would go chop down a Christmas tree in the forest then settle in at the lodge and play games while snacking on this sweet treat. Be prepared-this makes a TON. Cooking time is cooling time.
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 9 cups Corn Chex
- 7 cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup almonds
- 2 cups light Karo syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a large bowl that has been very lightly greased and set aside.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil on the stove.
- Boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and wait until boiling subsides then pour over cereal mixture.
- Stir until cereal is covered.
- Spread mixture onto cookie sheets or wax paper and allow to cool.
- You may separate mixute into small portions or in one big bowl for everyone to share!
I made this for a Thanksgiving get together. It was a huge success, most people found it very addicting and couldn't stop eating it. I set aside a small portion that was only rice and corn chex for my sister who can't eat gluten. Thanks!
I made this one this morning for the evening tiger scout meeting and it really never dried enough to touch without being really messy. I put it into clear plastic cups with a few pretzel twists on the bottom of each, hoping the pretzels would pull some of the moisture down. When I gave out the cups though, it went over fairly well. 6 of the 8 kids ate it and 4 of the parents did as well. Next time, I'll use less of the wet ingredients to the same amount of cereal. Oh, and I didn't have golden grahams, so I used multigrain cheerios. Thanks!