Recipe by nzsailor
This is my original recipe adapted from one that I have used for years to include the extra ingredients to qualify for entry in the spring 2003 ready set cook contest. A side of refritos would compliment, sangria for a beverage.
Top Review by mianbao
These are great. I had to use quite small chilies, so I slit them lengthwise. I was a bit worried that the filling would spill, so I sprinkled them with cornstarch and then dipped them in batter and fried them. Nothing spilled. Also, because of the size of the chilies, I chopped up the vegetables very fine (peeling, chopping and draining the tomato separately), before mixing them with the cheese and crab. The asparagus was thin, so it didn’t need blanching. Thank you for the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked crabmeat
- 4 asparagus spears, blanched
- 1 fresh tomato, cut in thin sections
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 anaheim chilies
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from chilies, make a long slit on one side and remove seeds and membrane, Tradition calls for these to be broiled and peeled but i never bother stuff chilies with equal portions of first four ingredients.
- Mix eggs, flour, oil, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Dip stuffed chilies in batter.
- Fry til golden.
- Dust with cayenne.
- Add teeth.
- Alternately you can omit the batter, make a very thin one egg omelet, roll the stuffed chilies in that and fry till chilies are al dente.