Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
Simple and inexpensive, rejuvelac is a probiotic that can be enjoyed as a cold drink, or used as an ingredient (in many vegan cheese recipes, for example).
- 1 cup rye berries (or wheat berries, or brown rice, or whole oat groats, or other sproutable grain)
- 8 cups water, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, soak grains in 2 cups of water for 8-12 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Repeat soaking procedure until you see the grains start to sprout. Then drain thoroughly.
- In a wide mouth jar or bowl, add 4 cups of water and sprouted grains. Cover loosely with towel and let sit for 2 days until a white liquid forms.
- Strain grains reserving white liquid. (This is your rejuvelac.)
- The rejuvelac is ready when it has a tart lemon taste. Best when chilled if drinking directly.
- (Toss out the grains -- or hopefully compost.).