Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was the Grand Prize Winner in the first of The Oregonian - James Beard recipe contests, held in 1975. The winner's name was Reino Koski. This is a Finnish soup.
- 2 lbs salmon (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole allspice
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 small onions, divided
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced
- 1 handful fresh celery leaves, chopped
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup celery, diced fine
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 1⁄2 ounces minced clams
- 1 quart water
- 6 1⁄2 ounces shrimp (small, or broken)
- 0.5 (4 ounce) jar pimentos, chopped fine
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 4 crushed chili, tepins (a hot, dried pepper)
- 1 quart milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Use any cut salmon or steelhead, leaving skin on.
- In 1 quart water, with salt and pepper, simmer on low heat in 5- or 6-quart pot.
- When skin comes off easily, set aside on plate and remove skin and bones.
- Cut or break into 1- and 2-inch pieces.
- In liquid stock, place bay leaves and whole allspice.
- Add potatoes, cut in 1- or 1 1/2-inch pieces; carrots, cut lengthwise and into half circles about 1/4-inch thick; and 2 onions cubed coarsely (not chopped fine).
- Cook over low heat.
- After a short while, add red cabbage and celery leaves.
- Cook until carrots are almost tender and potatoes don't disintegrate.
- While this is cooking, dice bacon and cook in fry pan over low heat.
- Pour almost all fat off.
- Add butter (or margarine) and diced celery, remaining onion (diced fine) and green pepper.
- Saute' until onions are yellow and peppers are pale green.
- Now back to your pot. Add salmon pieces, (they should be not quite cooked).
- From now on everything is simmered on low to preserve body.
- Add clams with broth, shrimp and 1 quart water.
- Put in mixture from fry pan.
- Add pimento, mushrooms, rosemary, cumin, thyme, oregano and chilies.
- Stir in milk a cup at a time.
- Add butter and let whole bit simmer for at least one hour.
- Serve with tossed salad and garlic bread.
- Can be frozen.