Hey Jude's Note:
I'm posting this for myself but also to share with others who, like me, might have been intimidated by the lovely looking bags or packages of frozen crabs and lobsters. I found such a bag today, of king crab legs, that I couldn't resist buying because of the low sale price. Luckily for me, this was at my favorite fishmonger shop, Burhop's, in Glenview, IL, and they gave me a recipe card with super simple instructions for the best ways to reheat the frozen crabby delights. I followed the instructions for steaming and our crab legs were absolutely perfect! The amounts listed below in 'ingredients' are per person and I'll list the details in the directions area. The prep and cook times don't include the thawing time because that's subject to what sort of shell fish you're preparing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thaw seafood, rinse and pat dry on paper towels.
- 2To Steam: place one inch of water in a large pot, bring to a boil. Place shellfish in a steaming rack or colander and lower into boiling water - if the bottom of the rack goes below the level of the water, empty out some of the water as you don't want your shellfish to be sitting in water. You may have to break crab legs to fit into the pot. Cover pot and cook as follows:.
- 3Snow crab legs or claws - 5 minutes.
- 4King Crab legs (whole or split) - 8 minutes.
- 5Maine lobster or Dungeness crab - 10 minutes.
- 6In Oven: preheat oven to 400°. Wrap clean, thawed shellfish in foil, forming a tent. Place in oven for 20 minutes.
- 7Remember, you are only reheating, not cooking your frozen, thawed shellfish.
- 8Serve with melted herb, or garlic, or plain butter.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Reheating Cooked Shellfish
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.2
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 180.4 mg
- Sodium 3650.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 65.8 g