1 hr 45 mins
Posted for the Zaar World Tour 2005. The recipe is from Sundays at Moosewood. You should prepare the dough the night before and then bake the coffeecake the next morning.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1For the batter, heat the butter and milk until the butter melts. Set aside to cool.
- 2Sift the flour into a large bowl with the salt and sugar.
- 3Dissolve the yeast in the water and mix in the egg yolks.
- 4Stir the cooled milk and butter mixture into the flour and then add the yeast mixture.
- 5Mix well and refrigerate, covered, overnight or for at least 12 hours. Refrigerate the egg whites.
- 6For the filling, combine the water and 1/2 cup sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the rest of the filling ingredients and cook on low heat until thick, about 10 minutes. If you make the filling in advance, refrigerate it.
- 8To assemble the bobka, bring the egg whites to room temperature.
- 9Beat the whites until foamy, and while stir beating, slowly ad 1/2 cup sugar until peaks form.
- 10Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 11Remove the dough from refrigerator just before you roll it out.
- 12Divide the dough in half.
- 13One a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll each half into a 12*24 inch rectangle.
- 14Work quickly because the dough will become sticky and difficult to work with as it warms up.
- 15Spread half he meringue and then half of the filling on each recangle to within 1 inch of the sides.
- 16Roll the long side up like a jelly roll and seal the short ends together. Place on roll inside a greased bundt pan. Lay the other roll on top.
- 17Bake for 45-60 minutes, until firm and almost bread-like on top.
- 18Let the bobka cool.
- 19Turn it out onto a plate, put a serving plate on top, and reverse the cake to its original position.
Nutritional Facts for Regina's Bobka
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 645.6
- Calories from Fat 316
- Total Fat 35.2 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 133.9 mg
- Sodium 271.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of