Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This juicy chicken and tangy cream sauce are wonderful for lunch or supper. On the go? These are great warm or cold and make great lunch, picnic or beach fare! They are very portable when wrapped in foil. Perfect with fresh island fruit and a cold tropical drink! RSC#8 3rd place
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, any color, seeded and sliced in strips
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 flat bread
Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Mix sauce ingredients together and refrigerate.
- In a non stick skillet over moderate heat warm each flat bread on both sides until warm and soft. Remove from pan, cover with foil and place under a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Pound chicken breasts a little to flatten and create a more uniform thickness.
- Mix ginger, paprika and garlic powder together, adding salt, pepper and cayenne to taste. Drizzle a little olive oil on the breasts and rub with the spice mixture. If you like spicier food feel free to increase the amounts of seasonings to meet your taste.
- Grill whole chicken breast over medium heat until juices run clear and then slice into strips.
- ~OR~ slice each breast into strips and saute until browned and thoroughly cooked. Add a little oil if needed to prevent sticking. Remove chicken from pan or push to the sides, away from hottest part of pan.
- Add onions and bell peppers to pan and cook just until crisp tender or cooked to your liking.
- To serve:.
- Spread cream sauce on a warm flat bread. Add chicken strips, peppers, onions and tomato.
- Top with additional cream sauce, more salt, pepper or spices IF DESIRED. A squirt of fresh lime is also very tasty and refreshing. Customize it to your liking.
- Fold in half like a taco or roll up like a burrito or a wrap.
Wow as good as all the reviews. A must make and new staple in my house. This was AMAZING. I made it for a friend and she cobbled it all up with a big smile. The fresh lime at the end... YUMMY! A few modifications to spice it up and I prefer to marinade and grill on skewers. Minced 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger instead of 1 1/2, garlic was fresh not powder,minced one whole jalapeno, cayenne is a must, lots of cracked black pepper, squeezed juice of one lime, and a tablespoon of white vinegar. Cubed the chicken and poured it all into a ziplock bag for a fews hours to soak. Grilled on skewers 4 min a side. Cilantro cream sauce- low fat sour cream, 4 teaspoons of lime not 2 and grated lime rind as well. Salt and pepper to taste. Next time I may use a thicker greek type pita as the whole wheat tortilla was a bit flimsy to hold in the cream sauce. Already on the menu for dinner this weekend.
This was okay, but very bland, even after I added/adjusted knowing that I like a bit of spice. I did use fresh garlic and it made a sort of paste with the dry ingredients that DID make a nice rub. The prep time was not close to 15 minutes for me...this took me over an hour start to finish with the slicing, dicing, chicken prep, etc. Maybe if I did some tweaking for my tastes...thank you for sharing the recipe.
I made a tofu version by doubling the spice mixture, adding its volume in flour, coating the tofu and then frying it for 10 minutes. I also added a bit of the spice mixture to the sauce, and served wrapped up in a tortilla. It was pretty good, but I don't think it wound up tasting anything like the meat version is supposed to. Great sauce.