Cook1 hr 20 mins
Originally from the Looneyspoons cookbook, this is low fat! This is a great recipe for using up the leftovers after we have grilled a large pork loin - if you also have pork that is already cooked, just add it to the dish in Step #2. This freezes very well! Just microwave and add a salad and/or bread for a quick meal
- 1 lb boneless pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup peeled cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup sliced okra or 1 cup zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add pork cubes and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes; add mushrooms, onions, garlic and celery; cook and stir until vegetables are tender, about five minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, ginger root, oregano, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and okra or zucchini; cover and simmer another 30-35 minutes, until pork and potatoes are very tender; stir in coriander during last five minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from heat and serve.