Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from an upscale restaurant in Knoxville, TN. It can be used as a side dish or a dip. There is a note in the recipe that if you wish to have a thin dip to only use one box of spinich but if you wish it thick and chunky to use what is called for in the recipe.
- 4 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (minced)
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons garlic-flavored oil
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄8 cup instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- Thaw and drain spinach using paper towels to absorb any remaining liquid.
- Place dry spinach in large casserole dish and set aside.
- Heat (do not boil) cream in saucepan over low-medium heat; set aside.
- Melt butter in large pot over medium high heat; add onion and garlic oil and saute until tender.
- Add hot water, chicken base, tabasco, salt and sour cream. Whisk until well blended. Bring to a boil and stir in hot cream.
- Place cornstarch in small bowl. Add water and stir to dissolve cornstarch.
- Whisking continuously, add cornstarch mixture to boiling sauce. As sauce thickens, continue whisking to remove any lumps. Sauce should be smooth and thick.
- Add parmesan cheese and whisk to remove lumps.
- Add hot sauce to spinach and stir to blend. Serve.
I rated as a 4 because we felt it was too much sauce and not enough spinach. Since I had some spinach left in the bag I added it and it made a big difference. After that everyone loved it. Will definitely make again....just with a little more spinach.
excellent, I frequent The Regas often and Kiki would be impressed with this recipe.