Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
E Schaeffer,4H club. Entry from an old issue of the Farm Journal. The ring tastes as good as it looks. Selected by judges and 4H leaders to be shared because of appearance, flavor and uniqueness.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄3 cup lukewarm water (110F degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 3⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup warmed orange marmalade
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Stir in flour and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cover and let stand in warm place until bubbly [approx 1 hour].
- Cream butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg. Add yeast mix, 1 1/4 cup flour and orange rind. Beat mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Turn into well greased 1 1/2 quart ring mold. Cover and let rise until doubled [approx 1 hour].
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until done. Meanwhile combine juice, water and 2/3 cup sugar in a saucepan. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Remove bread from mold immediately after baking and place on rack. Brush bread with juice mix until all the syrup is absorbed [about 15 minutes]. Brush with warmed marmalade.