Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Regal, as in "Chivas Regal"! This is a traditional Scottish recipe.
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 6 ounces finely chopped mushrooms
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 10 fluid ounces double cream
- 1⁄4 lb grated cheese (select cheese with lots of flavour)
- 3 fluid ounces Scotch whisky
- 1 ounce fine oatmeal (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mixed nuts
- Remove the cauliflower stalks and cook the florets in hot water for five minutes.
- Drain and place into an ovenproof dish with the chopped mushrooms and green peppers mixed in.
- Heat the cream gently in a small saucepan, and add the cheese, stirring frequently.
- When the cheese has melted, remove from the heat and mix in the whisky and oatmeal.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the chopped nuts on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F for 45 minutes.
- Serve immediately.