Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
High, light, fluffy, delicious company cheesecake. My favourite, always a great success..
- 1 (6 ounce) package Zwieback toast
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 lemon zest, grated fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 ounces dairy fresh sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 10 strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup red currant jelly, melted
- Crust: In a bowl crush the zwieback crackers, add melted butter and sugar.
- Press into a nine inch spring form pan and 1 1/2 inches up the sides.
- Set aside.
- Filling: In a large bowl beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add one cup sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add two whole eggs beat well.
- Add the three egg yolks, and continue to beat well.
- Stir in the sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla, blending well.
- Whip egg whites to soft peaks adding the last 1/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff but not dry.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites, blending well.
- Turn filling into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- or until set about 50- 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven onto wire rack.
- Loosen around edges only with a spatula knife.
- Cool completely on rack in pan.
- Cover and refrigerate overnite or several hours.
- One hour before serving, slice strawberries in half and arrange onto top of cheesecake.
- Heat the jelly and glaze each berry and top to the edges.
- Cut into 16 slices to serve.
This is a wonderful Cheesecake! It made for a lovely dessert, with raves all around, definitely in my favorites cookbook. We are expecting a busy summer and this cheesecake is going to make for a great addition to the dessert table. I didn't have the zwiback crackers so went with Andypany's Sweet Shortcrust Pastry Sweet Shortcrust Pastry for Cheesecakes.... which made for an excellent base. Thank you Andy for another of your terrific desserts. Oct 7 - corrected to make the Shortcrust 'clickable' - so a repeatable, guests enjoy - a wonderful dessert for those special occasions.