Recipe by LittleNico
This recipe is DELICIOUS. It's an adaptation of the original from "The New Laurel's Kitchen" (1985: Ten Speed Press). We made it for the first time a week ago, more or less inhaled it, then had to make some more. Use it in sandwiches, in wraps, on crackers, etc. You could use pinto or kidney beans in place of the black beans. You could also use 1/4 if a green pepper in place of chili pepper if you're nervous about spice.
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, this was soooooo tasty! I luved this with my veggies today! Mmm, such a great flavour with the sauteed onion, garlic and chili pepper adding a wonderful heat and tang and the cheese mellowing that out again a bit. Great way to use black beans! I will make this often again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, idioteqnician. Made and reviewed for Cookbook Tag May 2010.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked well-drained black beans
- 1 large onion, chopped well
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon green chili pepper, well chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the beans. It should make about 1 cup.
- Sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in oil.
- When the onion is done, add the spices and chili pepper. Cook until the pepper is softened and the spices are fragrant.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add to the mashed beans and mix.
- Add cheese and salt and mix.