Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is DELICIOUS. It's an adaptation of the original from "The New Laurel's Kitchen" (1985: Ten Speed Press). We made it for the first time a week ago, more or less inhaled it, then had to make some more. Use it in sandwiches, in wraps, on crackers, etc. You could use pinto or kidney beans in place of the black beans. You could also use 1/4 if a green pepper in place of chili pepper if you're nervous about spice.
- Mash the beans. It should make about 1 cup.
- Sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in oil.
- When the onion is done, add the spices and chili pepper. Cook until the pepper is softened and the spices are fragrant.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add to the mashed beans and mix.
- Add cheese and salt and mix.
WOW, this was soooooo tasty! I luved this with my veggies today! Mmm, such a great flavour with the sauteed onion, garlic and chili pepper adding a wonderful heat and tang and the cheese mellowing that out again a bit. Great way to use black beans! I will make this often again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, idioteqnician. Made and reviewed for Cookbook Tag May 2010.
Loved the flavor. I'll probably add a little broth tomorrow to thin the leftovers.