Recipe by Dana-MMH
These are a classic sugar cookie! Just simply delicious!! I have rolled out the dough and used cookie cutters and also made logs out of the dough.
Top Review by SaraFish
Sorry, sweet Dana, but I had problems with this recipe. It's too wet and sticky. I think the proportions are incorrect. I think it has too much butter and/or maybe you don't need to add the milk. I tried really hard with it to make it work but the dough is too soft and sticky to roll out or roll in a log, even after being refrigerated overnight. I was able to make drop cookies with it, though, after I froze it in the freezer. The cookies taste really yummy. Soft and puffy with a nice vanilla flavor with just a hint of nutmeg.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- colored sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Add sugar; beat until well blended.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, beating at low speed after each addition until well blended.
- Shape dough into 2 logs, each about 6 inches long.
- Wrap each roll in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350, grease cookie sheets.
- Cut logs into 1/4 inch thick slices; place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Keep unbaked logs and sliced cookies chilled until ready to bake.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks and decorate.
- Store in airtight container.