Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This old recipe came from my wonderful mother-in-law. She had this for as long as she could remember. It is very easy and easily adapted to add any extra veggies that you want to pickle. It doubles easily.
- 3 large skinny cucumbers
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- Wash vegetables.
- Do not peel cucumbers.
- Slice all veggies.
- In large bowl, combine sliced veggies, salt and celery seed.
- Stir well and let stand at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a blender, combine sugar and vinegar.
- Blend well to dissolve sugar.
- Do not rinse the veggies.
- Pack clean jars with veggies.
- Do not use the 'juice' that has collected at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour vinegar solution over the veggies, wipe rims and cap jars.
- Place jars in the back of your refrigerator.
- Check jars the second day-if the sugar didn't dissolve all the way you may need to give them a few shakes to finish dissolving the sugar.
- These wonderful pickles are ready to eat in 7 days.
- (My family never waits much past the second or third day!).
This was by far the easiest pickle recipe I have ever followed...threw together vidalia's, cucumbers, banana peppers and sweet peppers from the garden.
Thanks...cant keep enough jars on hand. Had to add tumeric for the pretty yellow coloring.
Absolutely fantastic! I followed the recipe with the following changes: no celery seed (I don't like it), add 1 tsp. yellow mustard seed and 5 whole black peppercorns. I made several batches, experimenting with different vinegars -- believe me, it was worth it! I tried white vinegar, red wine vinegar, French champagne vinegar and apple cider vinegar, each one brining it's own subtleties to the final product. All were excellent, and I think the red wine vinegar may be my favorite of the 4 so far. But the others are wonderful, too! Excellent recipe. Perfect blend of sweet/sour, in my opinion.
These were good, if you like the sweet pickle chips that people use on burgers sometimes. If you don't care for the sweet taste, as some of my family does not, then these probably won't work for you. Overall they had wonderful flavor!