Recipe by Auntmoonie
This old recipe came from my wonderful mother-in-law. She had this for as long as she could remember. It is very easy and easily adapted to add any extra veggies that you want to pickle. It doubles easily.
Top Review by jer324
This was by far the easiest pickle recipe I have ever followed...threw together vidalia's, cucumbers, banana peppers and sweet peppers from the garden.
Thanks...cant keep enough jars on hand. Had to add tumeric for the pretty yellow coloring.
- 3 large skinny cucumbers
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash vegetables.
- Do not peel cucumbers.
- Slice all veggies.
- In large bowl, combine sliced veggies, salt and celery seed.
- Stir well and let stand at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a blender, combine sugar and vinegar.
- Blend well to dissolve sugar.
- Do not rinse the veggies.
- Pack clean jars with veggies.
- Do not use the 'juice' that has collected at the bottom of the bowl.
- Pour vinegar solution over the veggies, wipe rims and cap jars.
- Place jars in the back of your refrigerator.
- Check jars the second day-if the sugar didn't dissolve all the way you may need to give them a few shakes to finish dissolving the sugar.
- These wonderful pickles are ready to eat in 7 days.
- (My family never waits much past the second or third day!).