Prep 30 mins
Cook 24 hrs
What begins as fresh ingredients is ready to serve in 24 hours and will keep several months in the fridge. Keep adding fresh veggies to the pot as they are used up and if additional brine is needed mix 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup sugar and 1 tbsp salt.
- 1 lb cucumber
- 1 lb carrot, pared
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 1 lb green tomato
- boiling water
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 2 tablespoons dill weed (optional)
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pickling salt
- Using a crinkle cutter, cut cucumbers into 1/4-1/2 slices. Cut carrots in same manner into 1-in chunks. Trim cauliflower and separate into flowerets. Set all aside.
- Quarter the onions if they are larger than 1-in. Cut green tomatoes into quarters.
- Drop carrots, cauliflower and onions into boiling water for 2 minute in several batches if necessary.
- Layer all vegetables in a gallon jar, placing the garlic cloves in the middle. Sprinkle dill weed, if used.
- Mix together vinegar, sugar, and salt until blended. Pour over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving.
My family and Co-workers loved this recipe. I used cucumbers, onion slices, green tomatoes, zucchini chunks, and yellow squash slices. I did not par boil any of the vegetables. The "kids" loved them so much, I had to make another batch the next night to send home with them. This is a great way to use many garden vegetables when they all ripen at once.