Prep 12 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These are not very sweet and are great with grated carrot and raisins. If making adding frozen fruit, I would also add a bit more sugar. From http://www.southernplate.com/.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup very hot water
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, place oats and hot water. Stir and set aside.
- Place all remaining dry ingredients into a large bowl. Stir to combine. Form a well in the center and crack eggs into the well while beating them lightly with a spoon. Add milk and stir batter well with large spoon until well combined.
- Pour melted butter into hot oat mixture; stir. Pour hot oats into batter and stir again until well combined. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
- To make 4 muffins muffins: 1 cup of muffin mix makes approximately 4 muffins. To every cup, add about ½ cup of mix ins such as berries, grated carrot, chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit.
- To make only one muffin, use ¼ cup batter and approximately 2 tablespoons mix ins.
- Bake in greased muffin tin or a muffin tin lined with cupcake papers at 400 for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.