Prep 24 mins
Cook 7 mins
the use of a cake mix simplifies this recipe and adds to great taste I usually toast nuts in recipes..I believe it brings out their nuttiness?!
- 18 1⁄4 ounces white cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, chopped, toasted
- In large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg, melted butter, water and vanilla.
- Stir with wooden spoon to blend.
- Work in nuts with your hands to form a smooth dough.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 2" thick log.
- wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill overnight in refrigerator.
- Cut dough into 1/8" thick slics.
- Place on a greased, sprayed on lined with parchment paper cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Bake one sheet at a time for 7-9 minutes or light browned.
- Cool 1 minute on baking sheet or until firm.then transfer cookies to wire rack and cool completely.
- When I make these around the Christmas holiday.pistachio nuts give it an unusual look and the green is pretty for that holiday.
- Sometimes I roll the dough edges in colored sugar or nuts for an attractive edge around the cookie.
I tried this recipe last week. I made two different versions with Betty Crooker cake mix. The first batch was the white cake mix with slivered almonds. I used butter in that batch. It was really great, the the cookies have a very nice flavor. The second batch, I was out of butter and used oil with a chocolate fudge mix and added toasted pecans. The cookies are drier and don't have the great flavor. They are still good, but not great. I will wait for some more butter to try some other combonations.