Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this little gem in an old Woman's Day magazine I had laying around the house. You choose the fruit; strawberries, peaches, blueberries, plums, or whatever other combination you can come up with. 4 pounds of fruit makes about seven half-pints. This isn't exactly a speedy process and requires a lot of stirring so grab a good cookbook to read!
- 1814.36 g fruit, your choice
- 946.36 ml sugar
- Wash fruit and discard any skin (from peaches or the like).
- Cut fruit into pieces no larger than 1 inch each.
- In a large heavy-duty saucepan add the sugar and stir over medium heat while the sugar melts and the fruit softens.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the jam thickens. this may take an hour or more. Cool, then spoon into very clean jars, cover with clean lids and refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
A wonderful easy jam. I used frozen blueberries and reduced the recipe to 8 ounces berries and 1/2 cup sugar because I didn't want any left to can. The only thing I did have to do extra was to add about 1 Tble spoon water to get the cooking started. Great jam for my tea party!
This person was also one who cut the recipe in half, & made it with frozen mixed berries! Easy as can be, as long as your stirring hand's in good shape, & we had this not only on toast & pancakes! And, call it what you like ~ It's still good over ice cream! Even gifted a small jar to a neighbor! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in Everyday's a Holiday tag]
This couldn't have been easier, and made a lovely jam. I cut the recipe in half, but used a combination of mixed berries. I also was able to freeze extra containers for later use. I am going to enjoy trying this with different fruits. Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.