Recipe by Dib's
This recipe was posted by request and is the second out of my Grandmothers 1941 cookbook "New American Cook Book."
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger (powdered I think)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and measure.
- Sift again with baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, soda and salt.
- Cream shortening and sugar with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Add eggs and mix well; add molasses.
- Add dry ingredients and remaining buttermilk alternately to creamed mixture.
- Keep covered in refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Bake in two 9-inch layer cake pans in moderate oven 350° for 30 minutes.