Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
Midwest Old Threshers has a great festival in Mt. Pleasant Iowa every year running through Labor Day. I always bought interesting cookbooks there and ran across the request in one of my books!
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup vinegar (dark cider)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 head dill
- 1 clove garlic
- Put 1 head of dill (or more) and 1 clove garlic in each quart jar.
- Or use 1 gallon jar with 5 heads dill and 4 garlic cloves.
- Add cucumbers whole or sliced, to jar.
- Pour boiling solution over cucumbers in jar.
- Let stand overnight at room temperature.
- Next morning put lids on jars and put in refrigerator.
- Keeps all winter.
- Solution is exactly enough for 1 gallon jar.
This was a very easy recipe to make. We tried them the next morning before putting in the frig & they were very good. I did increase the salt to 3 tbls & I added 1 tbls spoon of sugar to the brine but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly.