Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a super way to use up all those cucumbers from summers harvest.....and may I add, it also tastes great.
- 6 large cucumbers, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 medium onions, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon alum
- In a large container, combine cucumbers and onions.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour over cucumber mixture; mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- May be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Really good pickles, if a little too sweet for our taste. I found the alum at a local drugstore after a bit of a search and set off to make this super-easy recipe. Also used Kitten's pickling spice in this for added flavour. Other than the fact that I would cut the sugar back by atleast a cup (to suit our taste), this produces tasty, crisp pickles in no time.