Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This cheesecake is very similar to the German kase sahne. Use any type of cookie or sweet cracker crumbs for this cheesecake; graham crackers, vanilla wafers, gingersnaps, chocolate cookies, or even crushed corn flakes. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups Zwieback Toast Crumbs, finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated (3 tablespoons juice and 1 tablespoon zest)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Blend butter, 1/4 cup of the sugar, crumbs and cinnamon.
- Press 3/4 of this mixture on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water for five minutes.
- Cook egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 cup water in a double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the spoon.
- Remove from heat; add softened gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Mix with cream cheese gradually; add lemon juice, rind and salt and beat thoroughly.
- Cool; when mixture begins to congeal, beat for several minutes with a mixer.
- Whip cream; beat egg whites and fold both into gelatin mixture.
- Pour into crumb lined pan and sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top.
- Chill until firm.