This cheesecake is very similar to the German kase sahne. Use any type of cookie or sweet cracker crumbs for this cheesecake; graham crackers, vanilla wafers, gingersnaps, chocolate cookies, or even crushed corn flakes. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Chilling time not included in preparation time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups Zwieback Toast Crumbs, finely crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, finely grated (3 tablespoons juice and 1 tablespoon zest)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1Blend butter, 1/4 cup of the sugar, crumbs and cinnamon.
- 2Press 3/4 of this mixture on the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- 3Soak gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water for five minutes.
- 4Cook egg yolks, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and remaining 1/2 cup water in a double boiler, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the spoon.
- 5Remove from heat; add softened gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- 6Mix with cream cheese gradually; add lemon juice, rind and salt and beat thoroughly.
- 7Cool; when mixture begins to congeal, beat for several minutes with a mixer.
- 8Whip cream; beat egg whites and fold both into gelatin mixture.
- 9Pour into crumb lined pan and sprinkle remaining crumbs over the top.
- 10Chill until firm.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Refrigerator Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.5
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 128.3 mg
- Sodium 238.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 12.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Zwieback Toast Crumbs