Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This batter keeps well. Nice hearty muffin.
- 2 cups 100% bran flakes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-bran cereal
- Pour boiling water over 100% Bran.
- Cream together sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and buttermilk; mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, salt, All-Bran and 100% Bran and water.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Keep in large bowl covered in refrigerator.
- Bake as needed in greased muffin tins at 400°F for 15-20 minutes.
- *This batter will keep for several weeks.
- Makes great tasting hearty muffins!
This is almost like my mom's recipe, except hers is only 1 1/2 cups sugar and uses Bran Buds instead of Bran Flakes. It lasts in the refrigerator up to four months.