Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother always made this recipe when I was a child. Over the years I have experimented with it trying to making the nutrition count while still keeping the muffins moist. I have mixed in brown and multigrain flours. I have even reduced the sugar by a 1/2 cup. I have enclosed the original recipe.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups 100% bran
- 1 cup oil
- 3 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 liter buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups bran flakes
- 1 -2 cup raisins
- Pour the boiling water over the 100% bran, let stand.
- Cream oil, sugar and eggs. Add buttermilk and bran mixture.
- Sift flour, salt, soda and add to the above.
- Fold in bran flakes just until moist and then add raisons.
- Chill one day before baking.
- Bake at 400 F 15-20 minutes or until tested done with a toothpick .**Fill muffin tins ½ full.
LOVED IT!! I really enjoyed the texture of the muffins. I find most bran muffins to be very dry but these were very moist. Thanks for the post!