Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
As a very busy mom of six, this is a great recipe for a quick hot muffin for the kids in the morning. It keeps for a good week or so in the fridge, and it is a "Use as you need it" recipe. This is a great alternative and quick on hectic mornings before school. These muffins also freeze well after baking.
- 4 cups bran buds cereal
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups bran flakes
- Pour boiling water over bran buds and set 15 minutes.
- Mix the following ingredients together, add the bran mixture and stir well.
- Store in a tupperware bowl with a lid in the refrigerator.
- To bake: Grease muffin tins and fill 1/2- 3/4 full.
- Bake 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
These were easy to make and quite tasty. The second batch I made were a little better than the first as the batter thickens as it sits and the first were very runny as I poured them into the muffin cups. We added raisins to these and a little less sugar and did them in mini muffin tins. We really enjoyed them, however I think I might experiment with a little less white flour and a little more bran next time I make up the batter and see if I turn out a more substantial but still tasty muffin.