Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I could not believe the differences in all the refrigerator bran muffin recipes! This is the one my good friend Mary gave to me about 1972. It keeps well, is tasty, great for mom's with little time, and is healthy. What more can you ask?
- 3 cups all-bran cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I use butter)
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsifted flour (unbleached or whole wheat)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup dates (or raisins)
- Mix all bran cereal, boiling water, and one cup of the buttermilk.
- Let mixture stand.
- Blend sugar with shortening (butter).
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add the flour, soda, salt, another cup of buttermilk, and the dates.
- Blend well and add to bran mixture.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 months.
- When ready to use, do NOT stir!
- Dip batter into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, if whole wheat, 30.
This is a great recipe. I make it just a written and I add raisins and dates. I bake 6 at a time, so I can have fresh muffins on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing!
This is an excellent recipe! I 've been baking it myself for over 30 years. For a variation and a crunchier texture, I sometimes substitute 1 cup of oats for 1 cup of flour.