Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 4 dozen cookies.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, slivered
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, brown sugar and then almonds - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- REFRIGERATOR ALMOND COOKIES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1 cup mashed banana, 1/2 cup butter, softened, 2 eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a large bowl, blend the butter, egg, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a 6inch by 1 1/2inch log.
- Roll in waxed paper and chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut each roll into 1/8 inch slices and place on a greased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.