Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My hubby made these for me once and I will never go back to eating refried beans out of a can. The bacon bits in this make it absolutely yummy.
- Fry bacon in a medium sized skillet until just crispy. Remove bacon from the skillet and set aside until cool enough to break into tiny pieces.
- Pour off most of the bacon grease, leaving the bottom of the skillet well coated. Return the bacon pieces back to the skillet on low heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop the beans into the pan. Reserve liquid.
- Add garlic and onion powder.
- Mash all contents, adding reserved liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheese.
These are very good and super easy! I used pre-cooked bacon (4 slices) and re-crisped it in the skillet, which released just enough fat to flavor the beans quite well. I love refried black beans so did a mix of half black and half pinto and just roughly mashed them with the wooden spoon I was stirring with so they still had a lot of texture. I used about 1/4 tsp pepper and after tasting, added 1/4 tsp of salt also. Since I was making these the day before I needed them, I waited to add the cheese until I was reheating. I also stirred in a spoonful of salsa as I was reheating my serving. Served with Southwestern Meatloaf Burgers which was an excellent combination. Thanks for sharing!
Very easy, and tasty too! I didn't want to run out to the store to buy refried beans, but had all the ingredients for this at home. I didn't add the cheese, but used one can of beans and two slices of bacon. Thanks!
I was looking for a quick recipe and found this - it was exactly what I wanted. I used only one can of pinto beans, some 'real bacon bits' leftover from another recipe, a little taco seasoning and cayenne pepper. they're delicious and were super simple to make - thanks for sharing!