Recipe by Azube
A bit different from the soupy refried beans you get in restaraunts. Sweeter and thicker. I made this recipe up looking for a tastier frejoles.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans (mix and match pinto, red kidney, black)
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chopped fresh jalapeno peppers (or one small can)
- 2 tablespoons molasses (brown sugar is almost as good)
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion and garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Cook onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion begins to get transparent.
- Drain the beans and add to the onion garlic mix.
- Add the chopped jalepenos.
- Add molasses and honey.
- Continue cooking and mashing the beans (use a wooden fork) until they reach a consistency that looks good to you. Don't get them too dry as this will thicken some as it cools. (You can add water to make it more soupy).