Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the best refried bean recipe I have ever tasted, and we eat alot of mexican food where I'm from. I will NEVER EVER EVER make it any other way again. You'll LOVE it. This recipe comes from the Fix it and Forget It Cookbook, for the crock pot.
- Combine beans, water, garlic, tomato, and salt in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on high 5 hours, stirring occasionally. When the beans become soft, drain off some liquid.
- While the beans cook, brown bacon in skillet. Drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon. Add half of bacon and 3 tablespoons drippings to beans. Stir.
- Mash or puree beans with a food processor. Fry the mashed bean mixture in the remaining bacon drippings. Add more salt to taste.
- To serve, sprinkle the remaining bacon and shredded cheese on top of beans.
- Instead of draining off liquid, add 1/3 cup dry minute rice and continue cooking about 20 minutes. Add a dash of hot sauce and a dollop of sour cream to individual servings.
- Instead of frying the mashed bean mixture, place several spoonfuls on flour tortillas; roll up, and serve.
1/2 # of bacon??? I bet it is good, but are you trying to kill someone?
I had to use black beans and I used a can of diced tomatoes. I cooked on low overnight for 9 hours and it was soft in the morning. Wish I had a food processor to puree it! I think I would add some chili powder next time and it needed more salt. I made it to go wtih another tag recipe: Layered Taco Dip (which we'll make next week - sick kid at home -no party this weekend!) Want to try with red or pintos also.