Recipe by crazycookinmama
This is the best refried bean recipe I have ever tasted, and we eat alot of mexican food where I'm from. I will NEVER EVER EVER make it any other way again. You'll LOVE it. This recipe comes from the Fix it and Forget It Cookbook, for the crock pot.
- 2 cups dried red beans or 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped or 1 pint tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- shredded cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, water, garlic, tomato, and salt in slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on high 5 hours, stirring occasionally. When the beans become soft, drain off some liquid.
- While the beans cook, brown bacon in skillet. Drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon. Add half of bacon and 3 tablespoons drippings to beans. Stir.
- Mash or puree beans with a food processor. Fry the mashed bean mixture in the remaining bacon drippings. Add more salt to taste.
- To serve, sprinkle the remaining bacon and shredded cheese on top of beans.
- Instead of draining off liquid, add 1/3 cup dry minute rice and continue cooking about 20 minutes. Add a dash of hot sauce and a dollop of sour cream to individual servings.
- Instead of frying the mashed bean mixture, place several spoonfuls on flour tortillas; roll up, and serve.