Recipe by Kozmic Blues
No lard in these babies!! Try to use organic canned beans (if you can) because you will be using the liquid as well...
Top Review by Bobbie
We are in LOVE with these beans!!!! I doubled the recipe and am glad I did -- we had leftover fajitas, refried beans and rice today for lunch!!! Had I not doubled the recipe, the beans would have all disappeared last night at dinner. Just a note -- at least for us, when doubling the recipe, I think one could cut back a little on the cumin. I just used about 1 1/2 T. and that was perfect for us. And YES -- the lime juice is a MUST!!!! I'm thrilled to have found this recipe.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, including liquid
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 green onions, white and pale green parts chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mash pinto beans and liquid. (You may leave some beans whole, or mash until smooth if you prefer a creamier texture).
- Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add green onions, cumin, and garlic, and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in mashed beans (mixture will be soupy).
- Increase heat to medium-high, and cook beans 10 minutes, or until they thicken and will hold their shape on plate, stirring frequently.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in lime juice and lime zest, and season with pepper.
- Top with cilantro for serving.