Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great as a side dish, in quesadillas or wraps.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 zucchini, grated
- 5 cups pinto beans, cooked
- 1 1⁄2 cups liquid (bean broth) or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Mexican chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons vinegar, to taste or 2 teaspoons lime juice
- cheese, grated (optional)
- Heat oil.
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrot and celery, 5 minutes.
- Add beans, liquid, zucchini, cumin, chili powder, chipotle sauce and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add vinegar or lime juice to taste. Add cheese if desired.
- Blend half the mixture.
- Mash the other half of the refried beans.
- Mix together and reduce to desired consistency.