Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my sister-in-law's recipe. It contains bacon and jalapeno. What's not to love? Everyone demands this at family gatherings. Read recipe to get an idea of the time it takes- soaking, cooking, etc... Servings is a guess. We always have this at large family gatherings- my mother will know.
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 2 pieces bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced. or 2 jalapenos
- 1 lime
- First rinse, then soak a pound of pinto beans overnight in a pot of cold water.
- In the morning, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for several hours (3 minimum).
- If you don't want to soak them overnight, you can use the quick method: Put beans into a pot of water, bring to a boil, then turn off heat, put the lid on, and let sit for one hour. Then simmer for 3 hours.
- Saute two pieces of bacon until almost crispy, then add the onion and saute until caramelized (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and jalapeno, saute a couple more minutes, add some oil if necessary.
- Drain beans (the beans do not need to be completely drained. Save all of the cooking liquid "bean water".).
- Put sauteed onion mixture in food processor along with about 2 cups of the cooked beans, puree.
- Add the puree to the rest of the beans in the cooking pot- stir to mix.
- Add the juice of one lime and season with salt, stir. Taste the beans. (It can take a lot of salt as this makes a large batch of beans.) Adjust salt to taste. If the mixture seems dry, add a bit of the left-over bean water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve topped with cheese, if you desire.
Having never made refried beans before I chose this recipe based on the reviews. All I have to say is YUM! I bit the bullet and tried this new recipe out for a mexican food themed party and got rave reviews from everyone. Super easy and very tasty!
These beans were really great and easy to make. I used turkey bacon, so it was a relatively low-fat version. Worked great on the mexican pizza I made for dinner. Thanks for posting. : )