Prep 24 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
After several iterations, I've finally found a tasty way to make refried beans!
- 1 cup dried beans (pink beans, anasazi or pinto works well)
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1⁄4 onion, rough chopped
- 2 slices bacon, uncooked, rough diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheese (sharp cheddar or a colby-jack is what I use)
- Night before cooking: place dried beans & mashed garlic in a medium sized bowl, cover with 3 cups of water & allow to soak overnight (24 hrs total).
- Following day: Strain beans but reserve at least 1/2 the bean water. Place beans along with the garlic in a pot (2 qt works well). Add in your onion, bacon, cumin, adobo, cayenne & 3 cups of fresh water. Stir gently.
- Set pot on stove & bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer - cover w/ lid and allow beans to cook until softened - stirring ocassionally. Should the water evaporate a bit too fast, use the reserved bean water to refresh & keep beans moist. Cook time will be approximately 2 hours.
- Once beans are softened, add in salt & stir. Pour all of the bean mix into a food processor & pulse until creamy smooth. Return bean mix to pot & reheat. Add cheese & stir. Once cheese it totally melted your beans are ready to serve. Enjoy!