- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cups dry pinto beans, cleaned & rinsed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 9 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed.
- If more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
- Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with cuisnart or potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.