Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Accompaniment to almost any Mexican food
- 1⁄2 lb dry pinto beans
- 1⁄2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- • Wash and check beans for stones. Cook beans at a simmer for 2 hours with the cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
- •Drain and let cool. Mash the beans with a potato masher or ricer. In a well seasoned or teflon pan, heat the corn oil and fry the mashed beans. Add the Monterey jack cheese and cook until well blended.
The cumin makes these beans very special. I have made the basic batch and enjoyed them. (I love monterey jack cheese!) I plan to dress the beans up with fried chorizo for making tostados. Thanks for posting this recipe! Other refried beans recipes I have looked at have not appealed...they appeared to be too plain.