Recipe by sage, rosemary, and tyme
Accompaniment to almost any Mexican food
Top Review by BarbryT
The cumin makes these beans very special. I have made the basic batch and enjoyed them. (I love monterey jack cheese!) I plan to dress the beans up with fried chorizo for making tostados. Thanks for posting this recipe! Other refried beans recipes I have looked at have not appealed...they appeared to be too plain.
- 1⁄2 lb dry pinto beans
- 1⁄2 lb grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- • Wash and check beans for stones. Cook beans at a simmer for 2 hours with the cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.
- •Drain and let cool. Mash the beans with a potato masher or ricer. In a well seasoned or teflon pan, heat the corn oil and fry the mashed beans. Add the Monterey jack cheese and cook until well blended.