Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are the best!
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 -4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place beans in a big pot; add water to cover by 2 inches
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans; discard liquid.
- Return beans to pan; add water to cover. Add onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until beans are very tender, adding water to keep covered if needed.
- Discard onion and garlic.
- Mash beans with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole.
- Stir in cumin and hot pepper sauce.
This was very good, a lot better than the mush you get in a can. It had a nice, thick texture. It needed a little more salt and I don't like cumin, so I replaced it with more garlic.