- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 -4 drops hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in a big pot; add water to cover by 2 inches
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans; discard liquid.
- Return beans to pan; add water to cover. Add onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until beans are very tender, adding water to keep covered if needed.
- Discard onion and garlic.
- Mash beans with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole.
- Stir in cumin and hot pepper sauce.