I got this recipe from a little old lady who ran a cantina near the beach in Ensanada Mexico. Black beans are the best for this recipe. If the color throws you use red.
- In a large pan saute the onions and garlic to just translucent.
- Add the jalapenos and continue to saute until JUST beginning to brown.
- Add the beans, 2 cans rinsed and drained, two with juice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for around 1 1/2 hours, adding beer as needed.
- You don't want the beans to dry out.
- If there's any remaining beer left drink it.
- Sometimes 2 cans are needed.
- Don't add salt until dish is done and taste first.
Excellent beans, but maybe you should consider adding a LOT of bean-O to this recipe. We had these last night, and my girl friend is killing the plants in the house. *Grin*
This is spooky - I know for a fact that this was one of the very first recipes that I made and reviewed shortly after I joined Recipezaar about 7 or 8 months ago! Darned gremlins! In any case, I have made them many times since then in my "Death to Canned Refried Beans" campaign. I always make them with Guinness stout or a good strong British brown ale instead of beer. I've eaten them as a side dish, and they have become a staple ingredient any time I make a recipe that calls for refried beans as an ingredient.
Ecellent! I used half Kideny and Half black beans since I couldnt decide. It took 1 1/2 cans of beer. I made 11 bean burritos with them, 10 for the freezer and one I just ate.