Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I had some leftover canned refried beans that I wanted to eat, but not cold and not out of the can, so I came up with this truly tasty sandwich!
- 1 cup refried beans (Old El Paso)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapeno slices, quartered
- 1 ounce white cheddar cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 -8 romaine lettuce leaves, washed and trimmed
- 1 teaspoon French dressing, per sandwich
- 4 sandwich buns
- In a medium size skillet, heat the olive oil, saute the onion until slightly cooked, add the garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Add the refried beans, cook and stir until heated, reduce heat to low.
- Add the cheese. Stir to melt through.
- Toss in the jalapeno slices. Leave on low heat until heated through. Meanwhile, toast the sandwich rolls, open faced, under the broiler, until golden.
- Prepare the lettuce.
- When time for assembling the sandwich, season the beans with salt and pepper. Spread the bean mixture onto the sandwich roll. Top with lettuce and the French dressing.