Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Adapted from a recipe in the BH&G Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes. Use a 6 qt crock pot for stated amounts. Halve amounts for a 3.5 qt cooker. Can also be made on the stove top or simmered in a slow oven. Freezes beautifully.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 (16 ounce) jar thick & chunky salsa (use desired heat level)
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth (or 1 12 oz. bottle beer)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (use desired heat level)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Brown ground turkey and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat and add to meat and onion to crock.
- Add remaining ingredients to crock and mix well.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Garnish as you desire. We usually set out shredded cheese, chopped onions and sour cream.
Thi good and easy to make. I didn't put this in the crockpot, I just cooked it on the stove. I don't things real spicy so I did change up some things. I used two 14 ounce cans of petite diced tomatoes instead of salsa and I only used a tablespoon and a half of chili powder. I followed the rest of the recipe as written. As I made it was still a bit spicey for me. I took this for lunches and it was even better heated up
Love the flavor, the speed of preparation, the easiness, the texture...loved everything but the saltiness. And I can't really think of anyway to lower that. I will make this again, but will keep trying to find a way to make it less salty tasting! Thanks!